14-year-old girl dies of electrocution in bathtub in New Mexico

Believed to be caused by reaching for plugged in cell phone

A 14-year-old girl in Texas died after getting electrocuted in a bathtub on early Sunday morning. According to authorities, Madison Coe died in her father’s home in Lovington, New Mexico due to a situation where she was handling a cell phone plugged into a bathroom wall outlet. Coe’s grandmother, Donna O’Guinn, said that the father told Coe to get out of the bathtub, and Coe responded “Okay”. The father later had to go back when he heard no response after 20 minutes. “There was a burn mark on her hand. The hand that would have grabbed the phone. That was just very obvious that’s what had happened,” O’Guinn said. Coe’s father is an emergency medical technician, and did what he could in an attempt to revive Coe before paramedics could arrive. Frenship Independent School District later released a statement expressing their condolences over the death of Coe. A memorial service will be held for Coe on Friday in Lovington and on Saturday in Lubbock, Texas. The Lovington memorial is being supported by a GoFundMe campaign.

Coe had just graduated from Terra Vista Middle School and was preparing to begin ninth grade in a Houston high school in the upcoming school year. Coe represented her school on the basketball team, and was also a tuba player in the middle school band.

O’Guinn also said in light of the situation, “We want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging.” Dr. Sean Cummings, who was asked about a similar death in the United Kingdom earlier this year, said of cell phones, “These seem like innocuous devices, but they can be as dangerous as a hairdryer in a bathroom. They should attach warnings.” He noted that teenagers were particularly at risk due to an increasing dependence on being connected.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE share and bring awareness!! A friend of a friend put this together. I don't even know this person and they are helping to bring awareness to their kids and everyone else's!

Posted by Angela O'Guinn Downs on Monday, July 10, 2017

- Advertisement -

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

What do you think?

0 points
Upvote Downvote

Total votes: 0

Upvotes: 0

Upvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Downvotes: 0

Downvotes percentage: 0.000000%